Thursday, December 6, 2018

National Miners Day


Lewis Christison standing in the background


Today is National Miners Day. When I think about my Colorado roots, those roots run deep in mountain mining shafts with three generations of Colorado miners and prospectors in my family. The above photo shows my great-grandfather, Lewis Christison, standing in the background at a mine near Buena Vista. Lewis spent his life as a hard-rock miner, moving his family from mine to mine, prospect to prospect. Villa Grove, Canon City, Buena Vista, Rosita, Alder, and Turret are a few of the places I know he mined and prospected.

Ken Christison, Sr. with his father, Lewis Christison
Ken Christison, Sr. at Gold Crown Mine 


Lewis' son, Ken Christison, Sr., my Grandpa, was also a miner and prospector. In 1936, he moved to California and worked at the Gold Crown Mine in Twenty-Nine Palms. He met The Girl From 29 Palms (an Andrews Sisters song my grandmother said was written about her) and married her. He returned to Colorado later and I loved to go camping near his mining claim up on Poncha Pass when I was a little girl.




My Christison family miners started with Lewis' father, Wilburn Christison, who brought his wife and six children to the mining camp of Cash Creek, Colorado in a covered wagon in 1861. Wilburn was active in placer mining and in locating mines. He was involved in several mining companies, including the Pioneer Lode Mining Company.








Ernest and Nancy Jane Christison
Several of Wilburn's sons were active in mining, too. His oldest son, Leslie, worked in mines and was a mining inspector. Ernest Christison, whom I tend to think of as a cowboy, was also a miner. He and Leslie had a mining company near Twin Lakes. He also worked in mines at Cripple Creek and Victor, along with his sons, Leslie and John. 




Enos Frankenbery with his family
Lewis Christison's father-in-law, Enos Frankenbery (my other great-great-grandfather) was also a miner. He owned a coal mine near LaVeta. In 1893, he was badly burned in an explosion and lost his sight in one eye. But he continued to mine and later had a silver quarry near Canon City. He died in 1918 of a heart attack and had spent the day going over  Colorado Fuel and Iron holdings, which he operated, with company officials.













No comments: