Friday, March 4, 2011

Happy Birthday, Colorado!

Aspen Near Poncha Pass

The Arkansas River from the F Street Bridge in Salida

San Luis Valley near Villa Grove

150 years ago this week, one month after Kansas became a state, the western part of Kansas became Colorado Territory
on February 28, 1861. I thought I would celebrate by sharing a few of my favorite pictures I took last spring when my daughter and I took a trip to Salida.

My great-great-grandparents, Wilburn and Elizabeth Christison came to Colorado Territory with their six children in a wagon pulled by oxen in 1861. Wilburn voted in the first Territorial election held that fall, voting in the Lost Canyon precinct at Cash Creek. My husband's great-great-grandparents, the Eplers, also came to Colorado Territory, arriving by train in 1874 and settling in the newly-formed Elbert County. While the Christisons couldn't stay put in one place, my children are the 7th generation of John's family to live in Elbert County.

As you can see, I have many reasons to celebrate Colorado Territory's birthday.
Happy Birthday, Colorado!



3 comments:

Diana Ritchie said...

How beautiful!! Can't wait to be out there with the family in August.

Gayle Gresham said...

Diana, I read your Happy Birthday, Colorado post, too. I hope you and your family have a wonderful vacation in Colorado!

Eunice Boeve said...

Beautiful photos of a beautiful state. For years we vacationed with our kids in Colorado. Next year we're talking of renting a condo and all going back (now 13 of us) for another family vacation.